- Toyota introduces the highly anticipated 2023 GR Corolla Morizo Edition, a limited-run performance hatch designed for driving enthusiasts.
- The Morizo Edition offers focused enhancements for precision handling and track-day performance, making it the ultimate choice for those seeking exhilarating driving experiences.
- With only 25 units available in Australia, the Morizo Edition promises exclusivity and high demand among GR Corolla fans.
- Engine upgrades deliver an extra 30Nm of torque, reaching a maximum of 400Nm, while power remains unchanged at 221kW.
- The recalibrated six-speed manual transmission optimizes power delivery, enabling efficient utilization of the engine's power band.
- Improved suspension, including monotube shock absorbers, enhances roll rigidity and responsiveness for an exhilarating driving experience.
- Weight-saving measures, such as the removal of rear seats and the adoption of lightweight materials, contribute to improved performance and handling.
- The Morizo Edition showcases a race-inspired interior, featuring suede upholstery, red accents, and advanced technology, including an 8-inch touchscreen multimedia system and a digital instrument cluster.
- Enhanced safety features, including Toyota Safety Sense11 and connected services, ensure peace of mind on the road.
- Priced at $77,800 plus on-road costs, the Morizo Edition offers exclusivity and unparalleled performance for those seeking the pinnacle of GR Corolla ownership.
Following the highly anticipated launch of the GR Corolla performance hatch earlier this year, Toyota is raising the bar even further with the arrival of the limited edition Morizo Edition. Designed for driving enthusiasts, this exclusive variant of the acclaimed GR Corolla offers enhanced precision handling and track-day performance.
Limited to just 25 units in Australia, the Morizo Edition incorporates a range of focused enhancements over the GR Corolla GTS. These upgrades have been carefully introduced to amplify dynamism, reduce lap times, and elevate the driving experience for TOYOTA GAZOO Racing enthusiasts.
Sean Hanley, Toyota Australia's Vice President of Sales, Marketing, and Franchise Operations, emphasized the appeal of the Morizo Edition for GR Corolla fans seeking to push the boundaries of performance. With only 25 units allocated for the Australian market, the demand for Toyota's latest offering is expected to be exceedingly high.
Enhanced Performance and Optimized Transmission
At the heart of the Morizo Edition lies the tuned 1.6-litre three-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine, now generating an additional 30Nm of torque, reaching a maximum of 400Nm between 3250-4600rpm. The power output remains unchanged at 221kW at 6500rpm.
To fully harness the increased torque, engineers have recalibrated the close-ratio six-speed intelligent manual transmission. This recalibration includes altered gear ratios for the first and third gears, optimizing the utilization of the engine's power band. The final gear ratio has also been fine-tuned to enhance drive torque.
Upgraded Suspension and Improved Handling
Monotube shock absorbers have been implemented in the Morizo Edition, augmenting roll rigidity and responsiveness of the MacPherson strut front and double-wishbone rear suspension. The fitment of high-grip 245/40ZR18 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, wrapped around 10-spoke, 18-inch BBS® forged alloy wheels, further enhances handling grip. The outer edge of the rims proudly displays the engraved "TOYOTA GAZOO RACING" inscription, with the "R" finished in red for a distinctive visual touch.
Strengthened Chassis and Weight Reduction Measures
Built on the rigid and lightweight TNGA-C platform, the Morizo Edition incorporates additional structural reinforcements to provide unparalleled stiffness. Notably, an extra 3334mm of structural adhesive has been applied throughout the vehicle's body, resulting in a substantial 6082mm increase over the standard Corolla hatch.
Weight-saving measures have been meticulously employed, with the removal of the rear seats alone contributing to a reduction of over 10kg. Furthermore, various damping and silencing materials, along with the rear wiper and motor, have been omitted. The lightweight 18-inch BBS® forged alloy wheels further aid in reducing mass.
Carbon fiber reinforced plastic is utilized for the roof of the Morizo Edition, shedding 2.5kg of weight and lowering the vehicle's center of gravity. Additionally, non-essential features such as the steering wheel heater, parking sensors, wireless charger, and dual-zone air conditioner have been either eliminated or optimized for weight reduction.
Race-Inspired Interior and Advanced Technology
Inside the cabin, the Morizo Edition boasts race bucket seats upholstered in Brin Naub® perforated suede, offering extra side and seat-base bolstering to maximize occupant grip and stability during high-speed driving and cornering. Suede accents are also found on the steering wheel, manual parking brake, and shift boot, ensuring a strong grip. Alumite red metal accents further enhance the sporty appeal of the interior.
The Morizo Edition retains the 8.0-inch touchscreen multimedia system, featuring wireless Apple CarPlay® and wired Android Auto™ support. It is complemented by a color head-up display and a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster. To reduce weight, the eight-speaker JBL® audio system has been replaced with a two-speaker setup, while the native satellite navigation functionality has been removed.
Enhanced Safety and Warranty
The Morizo Edition comes equipped with Toyota Connected Services, offering enhanced safety and convenience features through the inbuilt Data Communication Module. Owners can remotely monitor their vehicle's status via the myToyota Connect smartphone app, while the vehicle itself is designed to automatically communicate with emergency services in the event of a collision or crash.
In terms of safety, the Morizo Edition includes the comprehensive suite of Toyota Safety Sense11 active safety technologies, retaining all the features of the GTS variant, except for parking sensors.
Furthermore, the GR Corolla Morizo Edition is covered by Toyota Warranty Advantage, providing up to 5-year, unlimited-kilometer coverage, extended to seven years on the engine and driveline. The first three years or 60,000km (whichever comes first) of capped-price servicing costs $300 per 6-month/10,000km interval.
Pricing and Availability
With its flagship status, the GR Corolla Morizo Edition is priced at $77,800 plus on-road costs. Premium paint options are available for an additional $575, while the exclusive Matte Steel paint color adds $2500 to the price.