- First commercial vehicle to feature the OM 654 four-cylinder diesel unit
- Interactive and individual fleet solutions relieve the driver and facilitate fleet management
- Digital Connectivity Packages from Mercedes PRO available from summer
- New coloured accents for the exterior and improved range of wheels
- The Vito’s diverse and varied DNA just got even stronger
Stuttgart – In the trades and retail sectors, as a service vehicle and as a delivery van: versatility, flexibility and a well-balanced price-performance ratio make the Mercedes-Benz Vito a truly successful vehicle. By expanding its product range, Mercedes-Benz Vans has now made its best-seller from the midsize vans segment even better. Among the highlights are high-torque four-cylinder diesel engines for the Vito Tourer with passenger car approval. In comparison to the predecessor, the new OM 654 engine range reduces emissions and consumption values whilst also optimising noise and vibration comfort. In line with the sales release in March, the power units already familiar from the Mercedes-Benz passenger car range will see their first ever usage in a commercial vehicle at Mercedes-Benz Vans.
Furthermore, the Vito is also very much keeping up with the increasing pace of our digital world. Following on from the Sprinter, many of the digital services offered as part of the Mercedes PRO connect ecosystem will also be made available in Vito variants with combustion engines from Summer 2019. A communications module (LTE) with permanently-installed SIM card ensures that the technical pre-requisites for this are already in place. The products from the Mercedes PRO connect connectivity and fleet management solution help increase efficiency, lower operating costs and improve the availability of your vehicles whilst also facilitating communication between the entire fleet. This provides for more effective control of the fleet and also relieves the burden placed on drivers.
The Mercedes-Benz Vito also pulls up to the start line with additional items of equipment like a much broader range of wheels and greater creative possibilities. Customers will thus soon be able to choose from four additional exterior colours and further 17, 18 and 19-inch light-alloy wheels. On top of that, there are also innovative comfort functions such as Highbeam Assist PLUS, new roller sliding bases for affixing the seats not to mention the Mercedes-Benz emergency call system and Breakdown Management function. Visually, the design of the instrument cluster has also been adjusted.
“The Mercedes-Benz Vito is the versatile all-rounder among the midsize vans with around 3.0 tonnes permissible gross vehicle weight. Its payload and its diverse variety are among the highest in the segment. With the new power units and equipment options available to order from March, we’re improving the versatility of this all-rounder even more for our customers, and all while keeping the purchase price and operating costs low. With the connection to Mercedes PRO connect, the Vito will also become part of the ‘Internet of Things’, thus creating new possibilities in the management of business-use fleets,” explains Pia Herkewitz, Product/Marketing Management for Mercedes-Benz midsize Vans.
The modifications brought to the Vito will also be beneficial to the compact Marco Polo ACTIVITY recreational vehicle. This vehicle will also be available from March and will feature, among other things, the new engine variants and the expanded range of colours and wheels.
The international success story continues
Since its market launch in 1995, the Mercedes-Benz Vito is synonymous with versatile mid-size vans. Around 450,000 units of this current third generation have been sold since its introduction in autumn 2014. Target customers are typically from small and medium-sized businesses with fleets of up to five vehicles. More than 70 percent of all Vito vehicles are used in such conditions. The transport requirements which it must fulfil are especially varied, with the logistics of products and materials making up the vast majority thereof. Almost on par with this is its importance as a mobile components warehouse and service vehicle. After that comes its use for plant-internal transport of people and materials.
High-torque, low-emission four-cylinder diesel
From March 2019, customers will be able to order the Mercedes-Benz Vito Tourer with the four-cylinder engine of the OM 654 model series. This engine replaces the previously used OM 651 engines with the same power rating. In the smallest version, the engine produces 100 kW (136 hp) and 330 Nm of torque (combined fuel consumption 6.5-5.7 l/100 km, combined CO2emissions 172-151 g/km). The middle option delivers 120 kW (163 hp) and 380 Nm of torque (combined fuel consumption 6.5-5.7 l/100 km, combined CO2 emissions 172-151 g/km)1 and in the top-of-the line engine with 140 kW (190 hp) and 420 Nm of torque (combined fuel consumption 6.4-5.6 l/100 km, combined CO2emissions 168-149 g/km)1.
The new engine generation sets itself apart not only by the great range of power outputs available, but also by combining this impressive power development with drastically reduced consumption and emissions values, not to mention with improved noise and vibration comfort. Among the innovative characteristics of the new engine generation are the combination of an aluminium housing and steel pistons, the stepped recess combustion process and the NANOSLIDE® cylinder wall coating for reducing friction within the engine.
The majority of components relevant to reducing emissions are installed directly on the engine. The integral technology approach featuring the new stepped recess combustion process, dynamic multi-way exhaust gas recirculation and engine-side exhaust-gas aftertreatment, combined for the first time with variable valve control, makes possible lower consumption and emissions values. Thanks to the near-engine, insulated position of the components, the exhaust-gas aftertreatment system enjoys low heat loss and advantageous working conditions. The measures include:
- High and low-pressure exhaust gas recirculation including cooling
- A diesel oxidation catalytic converter (DOC) reduces the carbon monoxide (CO) emissions and unburnt hydrocarbons (HC)
- A particle filter with SCR catalytic converter functionality (sDPF)
- An SCR catalytic converter (selective catalytic reduction) serves to reduce nitrous oxides by mixing ammonia in the form of AdBlue® into the exhaust gases upstream of the sDPF
- An additional selective catalytic reduction catalytic converter (SCR) with ammonia slip catalyst (ASC) in the exhaust gas duct
New engines with 9G-TRONIC automatic transmission as standard
The changes to the new Mercedes-Benz Vito Tourer will also see the 9G-TRONIC automatic transmission being used for the first time. The especially comfortable and efficient automatic transmission with torque converter replaces the previous 7G-TRONIC and comes as standard with the new diesel engines. The driver can use the DYNAMIC SELECT switch to select the drive programs “Comfort” and “Sport” and thus influence the shifting behaviour. Alternatively, “M” mode allows the driver to shift manually using the DIRECT SELECT steering wheel gearshift paddles. From autumn 2019, a manual transmission will be available. All new engine variants are equipped as standard with rear-wheel drive but can optionally also be ordered with 4MATIC permanent all-wheel drive.
Digital services under the Mercedes PRO brand umbrella
Efficiency and economy make for easy book-keeping: small and medium-sized companies are becoming increasingly aware of the importance of total cost of ownership in their fleets. A new basis for managing fleets efficiently is available in some countries in the form of digital services from Mercedes PRO connect. Mercedes PRO bundles all the relevant services on a web-based platform. This provides direct access via http://www.mercedes.pro/ to networked products and services which enable us to offer more than just a classic van.
“After the successful market launch of Mercedes PRO connect on the new Sprinter in June 2018, the digital ecosystem will this year be made available to our customers in the midsize segment. We will thus come true to our promise of successively introducing these services in other van model series and continually expanding our portfolio. The telematics functionality required for this is integrated deeply into the vehicle architecture,” reports Bjoern Sack, Head of Connectivity and Digital Services at Mercedes-Benz Vans.
Communications module delivers the basis for seven Connectivity Packages
The technical requirements for recording and exchanging data are fulfilled by means of a communications module (LTE) with permanently-installed SIM card fitted ex-factory. The services themselves can be used either on a PC or a mobile device. In line with the launch of the Mercedes-Benz Vito, besides the new OM 654 engine model series, the following packages will also be available from summer 2019:
- Optimised Assistance: By using the Mercedes PRO connect services, vehicles can be operated even more efficiently. Service and maintenance work can be planned in good time, and thus customers enjoy greater transparency about upcoming appointments and costs. The result is the best possible operational readiness of vehicles. What’s more, customers receive rapid assistance in the event of an accident or a breakdown.
- Simplified Fleet Communication: A direct connection between fleet managers and drivers makes communication much more efficient, interactive, rapid and unambiguous. Fleet managers can use the Vehicle Management Tool to send messages to the Mercedes PRO connect App and provide drivers with orders.
- Digital Records: Important data on the vehicle fleet can be called up quickly using this service. All data on tours driven, for example, can be saved and subsequently called up at any time by both fleet managers and drivers alike. This helps to optimise routes, but also allows easy separation of business journeys from private trips.
- Efficient Fleet Management: The Mercedes PRO connect connectivity and fleet solution assists fleet managers, it helps them to maintain an overview as well as giving them the possibility to quickly and flexibly plan tours. With these services, when the vehicle is used for business journeys, both the vehicle location and its status – for example, the fuel fill level – can be called up at any time. In this way, proactive and flexible planning can optimise fleet utilisation and therefore improve productivity. Plus, the “Theft Warning” service provides information on suspicious vehicle movements if the vehicle leaves pre-defined geofences within a specific period of time.
- Efficient Driving Style Analysis: This package provides drivers and fleet managers with meaningful data about the driving style. With the help of this information, the driving style can be optimised in terms of fuel consumption and wear. That reduces costs and improves the overall economy of the fleet.
- Mobile Vehicle Access: Specific vehicle functions can be controlled remotely from a distance. Even if your vehicle is out of sight, it is still possible to check whether doors are locked or electric windows are closed. It also facilitates vehicle access by multiple users without a key.
- Data Interfaces Mercedes-Benz Vans: With these data interfaces, Mercedes-Benz vans can be easily integrated into an existing fleet management system. Customers thus always have their entire fleet in sight and can prepare relevant data for their vehicles.
Expanded range of colours, new 17, 18 and 19-inch wheel options
Thanks to the new and extended product range, customers now also have a whole host of new configuration options for the exterior of all Vito models. The colour palette for metallic paint finishes has been extended to include graphite grey and selenite grey. Plus, the well-loved hyacinth red metallic familiar from Mercedes-Benz passenger cars has also been added to the selection list for all models. Equally new is the optional steel blue paint finish.
- For those who want a striking and dynamic appearance, there are a number of new light-alloy wheels available: a 10-spoke 19-inch light-alloy wheel design painted in black with a high-sheen finish, as well as two 18-inch light-alloy wheels – one with a 5-twin-spoke design in tremolite grey with high-sheen finish and one with a 5-spoke design in black also with a high-sheen finish. What’s more, 17-inch light-alloy wheels painted in black have also been added to the scope of available equipment. The 17-inch variant is designed in such a way that it offers improved vehicle aerodynamics.
- Both the new colour options and the improved wheel range have led to changes to the packages on offer. In the Vito SPORT line, two new 18-inch light-alloy wheels (5-twin-spoke and 5-spoke designs) replace the previously available 18-inch light-alloy wheels. Furthermore, 19-inch light-alloy wheels are also now available. In terms of paint finishes, graphite grey, selenite grey and hyacinth red metallic paints have been added to the list of appointments. As part of the Dynamic Exterior Package, various different light-alloy wheels in either 17 or 18-inch design optionally supplement the existing 16-inch light-alloy wheels.
Rapid assistance following an accident or a breakdown
The Vito is optimally equipped to deal with emergencies thanks to the new Mercedes-Benz emergency call system and Breakdown Management function. The emergency call system comes as standard. Crash sensors can immediately register an accident and automatically contact the emergency services. Alternatively, the emergency call can also be initiated manually using the SOS button in the overhead control panel. The system establishes a voice call with the Mercedes-Benz emergency call centre or the local call centre of the emergency services. The precise location is then transmitted along with further information which is needed for the rescue and recovery operation.
In the event of a breakdown, the driver can receive technical assistance via the Accident and Breakdown Management function. To this end, they must operate the breakdown button in the overhead control panel. Contact with the Customer Assistance Center (CAC) is established and the actual location, together with relevant vehicle data is automatically transmitted. The CAC informs the nearest Mercedes-Benz Service partner who can then either provide assistance on-location or who will have the vehicle towed to the nearest Mercedes-Benz partner workshop. Downtimes can thus be reduced and the subsequent continuation of operations with the vehicle can be ensured more quickly.
Crosswind Assist on-board as standard
The standard equipment includes ATTENTION ASSIST and Crosswind Assist, which almost completely compensate for the effects of gusts of wind on the vehicle. Tyre pressure monitoring is also standard equipment for the Vito Tourer. In addition, the Vito can be individually equipped with numerous other assistance systems, such as Active Parking Assist, the COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST distance warning assistance system, Blind Spot Assist or Lane Keeping Assist. Equally available as an option is PRE-SAFE which provides occupant protection if there is a risk of collision at the rear.
As an alternative to halogen headlamps, the Vito can be ordered with the optional ILS Intelligent Light System. This technology features LED turn signals, LED daytime running lights, plus LED dipped and main beams, as well as a cornering light function. The headlamps have a variable light distribution which changes to suit the vehicle speed and thus the prevailing conditions when driving on motorways and out-of-town routes. The Intelligent Light System is also optionally available in conjunction with Highbeam Assist PLUS. The system reacts adaptively to the visibility conditions and adjusts the light distribution and range to the respective traffic situation; it does this by actuating the dipped-beam, partial main-beam and main-beam headlamps as required.
Audio 40 infotainment system with intuitive operation
In terms of infotainment options available, the vehicle can be equipped with the Audio 40 system presented in 2018 which features a 7-inch touchscreen and integrated navigation system. It impresses with its diverse range of communication and infotainment possibilities. The system’s functions are operated in familiar fashion using the touchscreen. Information and displays in the navigation system are intuitively comprehensible while the 3D city and landmark views take things to another level. Other highlights include the DAB+ digital radio, Smartphone Integration via Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ as well as the Bluetooth® interface with audio streaming and hands-free functionality for distraction-free telephony while driving. USB interfaces allow mobile devices to be charged. Audio 40 is available as an option for the Vito Panel Van, the Vito Mixto, the Vito Tourer BASE, the Vito Tourer PRO and the Vito Tourer SELECT.
Individualisation options and equipment details on a par with passenger cars
In view of its use as a commercial vehicle, the optional equipment of the Vito is unusually diverse. There are numerous door and window variants or roof rails with carrier bars. The load compartment can be fitted with a wooden floor, a rail system for load anchoring, lashing rails on the sidewall and interior panelling for maximum functionality. Roof attachments, carrier systems and load compartment trays are either available ex-factory or as accessories. The new rail system used in the Vito promises users greater comfort and simpler operation. As part of this, the roller sliding bases used to affix the seats have been optimised such that the bench seats in the rear can be moved around with even greater ease.
Buyers have almost free reign when it comes to choosing the equipment and passenger compartment seating variants in the Vito Tourer. There are two-seater and three-seater bench seats, or even Berth and Table packages available. What’s more, customers have the choice between wooden and plastic flooring or even a floor covering in fine carpet for VIP shuttle operations, for example. Various heating and climate control systems make the stay on-board an especially pleasant one.
The Vito Panel Van was the first van to be equipped as standard with airbags and seat belt reminders on both the driver’s and co-driver’s side. The Vito Tourer PRO and Vito Tourer SELECT models also sport the particularly impressive windowbags and thorax/pelvis sidebags in the front. Plus, the Vito Tourer can also be equipped with windowbags in the rear upon request. With as many as eight airbags, it sets benchmarks in the segment of midsize vans.