- Citroën launches its electric offensive as it reveals its technological flagship, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid, the ë-Comfort class Silent Urban Vehicle.
- Already offering outstanding comfort, with its suspension with Progressive Hydraulic Cushions®, its Advanced Comfort seats and its 20 driver assistance systems, C5 Aircross SUV enters yet another new phase in the Citroën Advanced Comfort® programme with this plug-in hybrid offering.
- UNCOMPROMISING: an inspired by customers’ uses driving, zero CO2 emissions on a daily basis in 100% electric mode (50 kmi range) and unlimited range for long trips thanks to the petrol engine.
- SILENCE: a calm and peaceful journey in electric mode in this Silent Urban Vehicle, in a subdued atmosphere without noise, jolts or vibrations.
- HIGH-END DRIVING EXPERIENCE: electrifying performance thanks to the combination of a PureTech 180 hp petrol engine, an 80 kW electric engine and an ë-EAT8 automatic gearbox, delivering 225 hp of accumulated power and instantly available torque of 320 Nm.
- INTUITIVE: a complete ecosystem, intuitive and user-friendly, including automatic control of driving modes, easy charging and a dedicated smart services portal.
- With its outstanding modularity, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid is the most modular on its segment:
3 individual rear seats, sliding, tilting and foldable, Best in Class cargo volume.
- Offering a range of 50 kmi in electric mode, CO2 emissions of 39 g/kmi and consumption of 1.7 L/100 kmi in WLTP cycle, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid represents a new phase in Citroën’s energy transition strategy as it offers a plug-in hybrid engine combining technology and competitive cost of use.
- Manufactured in France at the Rennes – La Janais plant, alongside the ICE versions already sold to the tune of 80,000 orders, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid is available to order in France starting at €39,950. The first deliveries will take place at the end of the first half of 2020.
LAUNCHER OF CITROËN’S ELECTRIC OFFENSIVE
New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid is the first step in Citroën’s electrification offensive, which aims to provide an electrified offering on its entire range by 2025. The year 2020 will see Citroën transition to an extended range, which will be enhanced by 100% electric offers and plug-in hybrid offers, in addition to powerful internal combustion engines. Starting with New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid, all the new models launched by the Brand will feature an electrified version, a proof of Citroën’s commitment to the energy transition that aims to propose offers inspired by customer uses to as many users as possible, in the core market, in each segment and on each market.
THE ULTIMATE COMFORT EXPERIENCE OFFERED TO AS MANY USERS AS POSSIBLE
All the appeal of an SUV with a unique personality, modern and high-tech, which is entering a new phase in the Citroën Advanced Comfort® programme with this plug-in hybrid version:
Embodying the high end of the Citroën range, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid offers an extended mobility experience for true versatility of use. The pleasure of driving in electric mode suited to daily trips, stress-free with 50 kmi range (WLTP cycle), facilitating access to restricted urban areas, combined with freedom of driving in petrol engine mode at all times, for longer trips.
- TRAVELLING IN Ë-COMFORT CLASS
- New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid, a Silent Urban Vehicle able to run in silence without vibrations on daily trips, offers exceptional comfort on-board, strengthening the insulation provided by the acoustic laminated front windows, the suspension with Progressive Hydraulic Cushions® and Advanced Comfort seats, thus recreating the flying carpet effect typical of the older Citroën models.
- All the comfort and fluidity of electric driving with high torque of 320 Nm instantly available and the linearity of acceleration associated with the ë-EAT8 electrified automatic gearbox. With combined power of 225 hp (180 hp petrol engine, 80 kW electric engine), New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid offers high-flying dynamic performance for enhanced driving pleasure.
- In its plug-in hybrid version, C5 Aircross SUV is still Best in Class in terms of modularity thanks to the clever storage of the high-voltage battery under the rear seats. 3 individual same-width rear seats, sliding, removable and tilting, as well as a cargo volume that varies between 460 L and 600 L, a record size for the plug-in hybrid C-SUV segment.
- Simple and user-friendly, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid is a plug-in hybrid designed to facilitate daily life: simplified and programmable fast charging, intuitive and instructional interfaces, dedicated smart services ecosystem for even greater peace of mind.
- THE CORE MARKET
Available starting at €39,950, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid is in line with Citroën’s strategy of proposing offers adapted to different uses in the core market.
01. NEW C5 AIRCROSS SUV HYBRID, LAUNCHER OF CITROËN’S ELECTRIC OFFENSIVE
>> A CORE MARKET ELECTRIFIED MOBILITY OFFER, INSPIRED BY CUSTOMER USES
As a generalist brand, Citroën’s goal is to provide an offer adapted to the uses of all users and to be a driver of energy transition by extending the LEV (Low Emission Vehicle) offer in each segment and on each market, for as many users as possible. Citroën now offers an electric range that covers the needs targeted for specific uses: Berlingo Electric for users wishing to travel or deliver goods in urban and peri-urban areas, C-Zero, offering manoeuvrability and agility for in-town driving, and E-MEHARI allowing 4 people to travel under the open sky, a homage to the iconic Méhari. With New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid, Citroën marks the transition to an extended range, which will soon feature 100% electric or plug-in hybrid offers in addition to efficient and powerful combustion engines and targeted electric versions.
New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid is Citroën’s first plug-in hybrid model of the Core Model Strategy, which by 2023 will lead to 80% of the range having an electrified version, then 100% in 2025. Thus, beginning with C5 Aircross SUV, all new models launched by the Brand will have an electrified version, proof of Citroën’s commitment to the energy transition. New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid symbolises a truly versatile offer, for customers wishing to get the best of both energy types: all the benefits of ZEV (Zero Emission Vehicle) 100% electric mode in town for daily driving, and the petrol engine for longer journeys. With this extended electrified mobility offer, Citroën meets the needs of customers seeking smart mobility, in particular during the working week for daily driving, but who still wish to make longer journeys for leisure and getaways. This plug-in hybrid offer meets the needs of individuals as well as professionals, sharing the same need for controlled cost of use. Two customer profiles concerned about energy transition and seeking subdued, efficient and powerful engines, for practical and worry-free daily mobility.
02. AN ENERGETIC SUV WITH A UNIQUE PERSONALITY
>> SPECIFIC CUSTOMISATION FOR THE HYBRID VERSION
Like the ICE versions, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid has a strong and bold personality. Sturdy and protective, a typical SUV, it offers advanced customisation options, with details specially designed to emphasise the hybrid driving mode.
– A dynamic New Color Pack, Anodised Blue, which symbolises the plug-in hybrid. This new Color Pack, which is embodied by coloured inserts in the Airbump® on the front doors and in the lower part of the front bumper, lets customers stand out if they wish. It joins the existing Color Packs, Anodised Silver, Anodised White and Deep Anodised Red, available on C5 Aircross SUV regardless of the engine type. The number of possible exterior combinations is therefore 39, allowing customers to choose the car that suits them.
– An ”ḧybrid” logo placed on the rear tailgate and an “ḧ” on the front wings, in Anodised Blue, indicates that this is the plug-in hybrid version. This original logo makes three different references: the “h” of the word “hybrid”, the plug-in electric mode in its design resembling an electrical socket, and the singular grapheme central to Citroën’s identity.
– A charging flap on the left body side, symmetrical to the fuel flap located on the right, easily accessible for charging and perfectly in keeping with the exterior style of the vehicle.
The light and spacious passenger compartment of New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid retains the characteristics of comfort, well-being and harmony of the ICE versions, while offering a few specific details.
– The auto dimming rear view mirror is specific, refined and frameless, for a more distinctive look and enhancing the technological appearance of the rechargeable hybrid mode. It features a 100% electric driving mode indicator. when the vehicle is driving in Electric (ZEV) mode, a blue light switches on under the interior rear view mirror, visible from the outside, so that the vehicle can be identified in traffic as a vehicle driving in ZEV mode. This special feature allows drivers of New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid to have easier access to restricted traffic zones in urban centres.
– The central console features a mode selector to the right of the automatic gearbox, offering the driver the option to choose between several drive modes through the combined or separate action of ICE and electric energy. Electric (ZEV) for a silent and smooth ride, Hybrid for versatility and efficiency, Sport for dynamic driving. By default, management between electric and ICE is automatic depending on the level of charge of the battery and the driver’s request.
– The 12.3’’ digital dashboard and the 8” central tablet with capacitive screen feature new graphics, enhancing the exclusive appearance of this plug-in hybrid version and highlighting the plug-in hybrid technology combining the best of ICE and electric modes. These graphics display the vehicle’s driving mode in real time and in a highly instructional manner.
03. THE ULTIMATE EXPERIENCE OF COMFORT
A. VERSATILITY OF USE: EXTENDED MOBILITY FOR DRIVING WITH COMPLETE PEACE OF MIND, ELECTRIC DAY-TO-DAY, PETROL IF NECESSARY
New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid provides an offer adapted to all uses, for day-to-day driving as well as unexpected journeys, freely and without restrictions. This hybrid version offers the pleasure of silent start-up and operation, with zero CO2 emissions, with the possibility of driving 50 kmi in ZEV mode, a range in electric mode that is suited to most daily journeys of users, up to 135 km/h. Therefore, it is possible to drive a week without using the petrol engine, making the usual trips and recharging the vehicle as needed, at home, at work or on a public charging terminal.
Aside from the pleasure of driving in electric mode on a daily basis, without CO2 emissions and with significant economies of use, 100% electric mode allows the driver access to restricted traffic zones in town centres, which increasingly ban ICE vehicles: hybrid versions offer extended mobility, from short daily trips to long journeys on the road or the motorway.
A specific feature in the command interface for the touch screen, ë-Save, lets the driver plan the journeys and plan for an electrical energy reserve (10 km, 20 km or full battery) to be used when desired during the journey, particularly when planning to travel through an urban area, whether during or at the end of the journey.
The best of both energy types is available to customers. The option to drive in all electric mode every day with an ideal range of 50 kmi for daily journeys, but with the option to travel a long distance, to go away for the weekend or on holiday without any concerns in terms of charging, since the petrol engine, quiet and powerful, takes over.
In addition, for even greater peace of mind, the battery is guaranteed 8 years or 160,000 km for 70% of its charge capacity.
B. Ë-COMFORT CLASS TRAVEL: WHEN THE CITROËN ADVANCED COMFORT® PROGRAMME IS PUSHED TO ITS LIMITS
>> TECHNOLOGICAL AND MODERN ELECTRIC MOBILITY
Citroën and comfort, a story that has lasted over 100 years. The Citroën Advanced Comfort® programme has guided the development of C5 Aircross SUV, enhancing all comfort features at each step. New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid goes even further, offering a technological and modern electric mobility, to boost comfort and versatility of use:
ë-Comfort class mobility. It lets you drive in electric mode on a daily basis, perfectly insulated from the road and the outside world, in a hushed, cocoon-like setting: all outside stresses are filtered out. With electric mode, all obstacles are lifted; passengers are enveloped in an aura of calm. The silent operation, smoothness and movement of the vehicle, pleasure of driving, the gentle suspension, the soft Advanced Comfort seats, the deletion of vibrations on board, the ergonomics and ease of use of the interfaces and dedicated services, everything contributes to enhancing comfort on board, for all occupants.
Ë-Comfort is the guarantee of being able to drive in electric mode on daily journeys, with the following:
– Zero CO2 emissions, to satisfy customers’ environmental and ecological conscience,
– Zero noise and zero odour, to ensure optimum acoustic and olfactory comfort in electric mode in town,
– Zero vibrations, zero jolts, zero gear changes, for perfectly smooth driving,
– Immediately available torque for stimulating driving sensations,
– Remotely programmable services for peace of mind every day.
Able to drive in urban areas in ZEV mode, but still able to make unexpected longer journeys, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid is a new invitation to drivers to travel, stress-free, calm and relaxed. To indicate electric mode when the car is moving and to satisfy regulations, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid is equipped with a specific ZEV sound signal below 30 km/h, indicating 100% electric driving and ensuring that pedestrians can hear a vehicle driving close by, while enhancing its technological and modern appearance. This sound is inaudible inside this Silent Urban Vehicle to preserve acoustic comfort on board.
>> MOBILITY THAT ENHANCES ALL THE BENEFITS OF C5 AIRCROSS SUV
New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid combines ë-Comfort with all the comfort features of ICE versions. In ZEV mode, in what are generally the most stressful urban driving situations, or on short journeys, acoustic comfort is improved and no vibrations interrupt the silence on board. With the acoustic laminated front windows of New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid, available as standard, the cocoon effect is enhanced, passengers are comfortably seated and sheltered from outside disturbances.
Equipped with suspension with Progressive Hydraulic Cushions®, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid faces down all obstacles, from potholes and ditches to speed bumps and other road unevenness, easily and effortlessly, like a quiet and dynamic flying carpet. From Citroën’s experience in competitive car racing, the hydraulic cushions provide better shock absorption. Introduced, tried and tested in long-distance rally on the winning ZX from the Paris Dakar in 1994, today they are used on C3 WRC. Thus using its experience and the know-how of its engineers, Citroën has developed this suspension technology, the aim of which is to improve filtering quality, which is typical of Citroën, and very important to the Brand’s customers. 20 patents have been filed as part of the development of the suspension with Progressive Hydraulic Cushions®.
In a feature specific to the hybrid version, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid is equipped with a multi-link rear axle, which guarantees efficient and safe behaviour, and ensures imperturbable balance regardless of exterior conditions.
The impression of on-board comfort also comes from the seats. Seated comfortably in the Advanced Comfort seats, passengers enjoy exceptional seat comfort, a trademark of Citroën passenger compartments.
– Visual comfort thanks to the padding visible at first glance.
– Welcome comfort with 15 mm soft foam on contact with the seat,
– Dynamic comfort with a structured foam thickened at the surface, combined with a high-density foam in the middle of the seats, for lasting softness, maintenance and comfort.
– Comfort of posture with wide seat cushions, enhanced maintenance, and multiple seat adjustment settings.
The interior of New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid offers all the benefits of spaciousness and modularity of C5 Aircross SUV. The individual rear seats, all the same width, sliding, tilting and removable, remain one of the special features of C5 Aircross SUV on its segment, including in the hybrid version. Its exceptional modularity is preserved, and its cargo volume remains Best in Class thanks to the clever storage of the high-voltage battery under the rear seats. With cargo volume of 460 L to 600 L depending on the position of the seats, the boot of New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid is the most spacious in the C-SUV hybrid segment and one of the best in the segment, for all engine types. With an articulated boot floor for easy storage of the vehicle charging equipment, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid has a flat floor when the rear seats are folded down, for a loading length of 1.90 m, strictly identical to that of ICE versions. This clever set-up makes it the most comfortable and modular hybrid SUV in its segment.
Modern and high-tech, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid offers a wide range of 20 driver assistance systems to enhance comfort on board and ensure easier driving, regardless of exterior conditions. Highway Driver Assist in particular, a level-2 autonomous driving system, particularly suited to urban traffic congestion and fast lanes, lets the driver partially delegate the driving, the only restriction being to remain focused on the road.
>> SMOOTH ELECTRIC DRIVING
New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid has an economical powertrain, brilliantly efficient with CO2 emissions of 39 g/kmi (WLTP cycle). This engine is particularly powerful and dynamic, in all circumstances, with the combination of a PureTech 180 petrol engine that meets all the latest Euro 6 emissions control standards, and an 80 kW electric engine installed between the petrol engine and the ë-EAT8 electrified automatic gearbox. The 13.2 kWh electric motor battery is high-voltage 200V Li-Ion. In Hybrid mode, the two engines join forces to provide combined power of 225 hp to the front wheels, controlled fuel consumption and enhanced driving pleasure. The 320 Nm torque is available instantaneously. The combustion engine has a starter-alternator to guarantee that the combustion engine restarts instantly and quietly.
The fast and efficient ë-EAT8 electrified automatic gearbox is an upgrade of the EAT8 gearbox with optimised gear changes thanks to the multi-disk wet clutch, enhancing the fluidity and pleasure of driving, with immediate availability of torque of 320 Nm. It has a Brake feature that amplifies deceleration of the vehicle without pressing the brake pedal, to increase autonomy in ZEV mode. This system allows recovery of the energy available during braking and deceleration phases, unlike the ICE versions, thus increasing autonomy in electric mode.
>> OPTIMISED CHARGING TIME FOR EASIER CHARGING
Charging time is optimised: using a classic domestic socket, the battery charges in one night, between 4 hrs (Green’up™ Legrand 14 A socket) and 7 hrs (standard socket). On a 32 A Wall Box, purchased or leased, using the optional 7.4 kW charger, the battery recharges faster, in less than 2 hrs. Charging is easier and can be programmed or deferred, to benefit from more reasonable off-peak electricity prices for example. Customers program the vehicle charge using the tablet in the cabin or via the My Citroën app. Charging is simple thanks to improved ergonomics of the flap and the charging cables stored on the articulated boot floor. The charging flap features a colour code to visually track the charging process, which can also be viewed on the My Citroën app.
>> INTUITIVE INTERFACES FOR GREATER PEACE OF MIND
With the launch of the plug-in hybrid engine, Citroën supports the driver by offering clear and intuitive interfaces, easy to read, understand and use. The aim is simple: to strengthen the connection between the driver and the vehicle, to enhance the modernity of the drive chain, to simplify all interactions and all actions, on a daily basis, to make New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid an extension of the home; playful, intuitive and gratifying.
The driver has a special dedicated display mode on the 12.3” digital dashboard in order to view the various elements related to hybrid mode: the power meter, the electrical and petrol gauges, the range in electric and petrol mode, the energy flow diagrams. When the vehicle is charging, the dashboard displays the remaining charge time to achieve a full charge (in hours and minutes), the electrical autonomy recovered (in km), the recovered battery charge rate (as %) and the battery charge speed (in km/h).
In addition, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid features specific pages in the tablet for managing hybrid operation settings, accessible directly from a button under the touch screen. It gives the energy flows illustrating the operating status of the hybrid system, the electric and fuel consumption statistics, access to the ë-Save feature and the battery deferred charging settings.
>> DEDICATED SMART SERVICES TO SIMPLIFY DAILY LIFE
The dedicated smart services of New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid let you enjoy comfort without limits, smooth and without jolts, to travel calmly and simply. It provides true continuity between the customer’s digital world and his/her car. Encompassing the entire electrification ecosystem, these services make use of the vehicle simpler and hassle-free.
– Citroën Connect Box: this service offers daily assistance, emergency calling, as well as the remote control system for controlling the vehicle remotely, using the My Citroën app (programming charging and pre-heating or pre-cooling to optimise electrical autonomy, checking battery capacity and remaining fuel range, mileage and vehicle location).
– Citroën Connect Nav: the Citroën Connect Nav navigation system featuring display of real-time traffic and danger zones, is specially enhanced with information connected to the electrification of the vehicle. It includes POI with electric charging zones in addition to fuel stations and a graphic showing the radius of action according to the battery charge level, in order to better manage the vehicle’s autonomy in all-electric mode and in hybrid mode.
– Mirror Screen: this feature offers extended connectivity on board, with Apple Carplay and Android Auto mirroring protocols, to easily access all applications compatible with the user’s smartphone via the vehicle’s touch screen tablet.
04. ALL THE COMFORT OF CITROËN’S PLUG-IN HYBRID AVAILABLE TO ORDER
With New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid, Citroën, a generalist brand in the core market, is inspired by customers’ uses and their expectations in terms of technology, environmental protection and energy transition.
Combining comfort, high-end technology and competitive cost of use, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid is available to order in France starting at €39,950, in two versions – Feel and Shine pack – for individuals, and two versions – Business and Business + – for business customers. The C5 Aircross SUV range is available in 3 engine types: petrol, diesel and plug-in hybrid, according to the customer’s wishes. The plug-in hybrid version is in perfect keeping with the current C5 Aircross SUV range, offering a wide selection of equipment to individual as well as business customers.
- Hybrid 225 ë-EAT8
- Petrol engine: PureTech 180 S&S Euro 6 – 180 hp (132 kW)
- Electric engine: 110 hp (80 kW) installed between the petrol engine and the gearbox
- Combined power: 225 hp (165 kW)
- Battery: High Voltage 200V Li-Ion 13.2 kWh
- 4X2 front wheel transmission
- Electric engine torque: 320 Nm
- ë-EAT8 electrified automatic gearbox
- Range in ZEV: 50 kmi (functional up to 135 km/h) – WLTP cycle
- CO2 emissions : 39 g/kmi – WLTP cycle
- Mixed consumption: 1.7 L/100 kmi – WLTP cycle
- Charging time:
- Less than 2 hrs on 32 A Wall Box, with optional 7.4 kW charger
- 4 hrs on Green’up™ Legrand 14 A socket, with 3.7 kW charger
- 7 hrs on standard 8 A domestic socket, with 3.7 kW charger