Volvo Car UK confirms full pricing and specification details of Polestar Engineered halo versions of premium mid-size S60 saloon, V60 estate and XC60 SUV models
• Performance and handling upgrades sourced from Polestar, Volvo’s specialist electrified performance arm
• S60 T8 Polestar Engineered is the fastest-accelerating production Volvo car ever
• Polestar Engineered cars all feature an upgraded version of the powerful and efficient T8 Twin Engine plug-in hybrid powertrain
• Engine output increased to 318hp, taking total system power to 405hp (up from 390hp)
• Other elements include Brembo or Akebono brakes, Öhlins adjustable shock absorbers, lightweight forged alloy wheels and a retuned automatic transmission
• Polestar Engineered is a range-topping variant in each model line-up, positioned above R-Design Plus (S60 and V60)/R-Design Pro (XC60)
• Distinguished by exclusive specification that includes 19-inch Y-spoke wheels with contrast polished and black finish (21-inch for XC60), black front grille surround, black chrome exhaust tailpipes, signature gold-coloured brake calipers and seatbelts, and Polestar emblems
• Polestar Engineered models are on sale now, with first customer deliveries scheduled before the end of the year
• On-the-road prices – S60 £56,105, V60 £57,205, XC60 £64,545
Full UK pricing and specification details have been confirmed for the new S60, V60 and XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered, the plug-in hybrid high-performance halo variants of Volvo’s mid-size models. These cars are the latest part of Volvo’s commitment to electrification, and benefit from the expertise of the Volvo Car Group’s electrified performance division, Polestar.
The S60, V60 and XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered’s engine, brakes, suspension, automatic transmission and wheels are all upgraded for improved dynamics, while exterior and interior design changes provide a subtle nod to the progressive performance character each car offers.
Potent petrol-electric plug-in hybrid powertrain
The 390hp plug-in hybrid T8 Twin Engine is already established as the most potent powertrain on offer in the S60, V60 and XC60, but with Polestar’s tuning, output from its 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol engine is increased from 303hp to 318hp. With 87hp provided by the electric motor, the total system output is 405hp. Performance is suitably electrifying: in fact, the S60 Polestar Engineered is capable of 0-62mph in just 4.4 seconds – making it the fastest-accelerating production Volvo car ever made – yet it is also capable of electric-only zero-emissions driving of up to 27.3 miles and fuel economy of 104.5mpg (WLTP Combined cycle).
Software changes to the automatic transmission bring quicker gearshifts and a more precise shift programme that minimise gearchanges when cornering quickly.
Brembo or Akebono braking system
Stopping power is increased with the adoption of a Brembo system (Akebono on the XC60) that features floating front discs and monobloc front calipers. The front discs are slotted for better heat management, while the front and rear calipers are finished in Polestar’s new signature gold colour.
Öhlins adjustable shock absorbers
The Polestar Engineered models are fitted with Öhlins adjustable shock absorbers which use a dual-flow valve for accurate response to changes in the road surface and driving conditions, ensuring an excellent balance between handling precision and ride comfort. A strut bar between the front suspension towers also helps to improve steering response and handling. The strut bar and shock absorber design are shared with the 600hp Polestar electric performance hybrid coupé.
The wheels are lightweight forged alloys with a sporty five-Y-spoke design with contrast polished and black surfacing – 19-inch diameter for the S60 and V60, and 21-inch for the XC60.
Bespoke styling elements
In addition to the enhanced dynamics, the Polestar Engineered cars get a range of distinctive yet discreet styling features. These include Polestar emblems front and rear, a high-gloss black surround for the black front grille and a black chrome finish for the exhaust tailpipes. On the inside, there are gold-coloured seatbelts and a stitched finish for the instrument panel.
Polestar Engineered trim sits above R-Design Plus in the S60 and V60 range, and R-Design Pro in the XC60. Equipment additions to the S60 and V60 R-Design Plus grade include a heated steering wheel, Harman Kardon premium audio system and aluminium front tread plates. The XC60 benefits from the same upgrades on the R-Design Pro specification, with the addition of metallic paint (a heated steering wheel is standard on the XC60 R-Design Pro).
Matt Galvin, Volvo Car UK’s Sales Director, said: “These new Polestar Engineered cars perfectly illustrate Volvo’s approach to electrified performance. By combining a powerful plug-in hybrid set-up with the engineering expertise of Polestar, they offer scintillating performance with the ability to run in electric-only mode, thus creating no tailpipe emissions. We’re sure this pure, progressive performance will be a hit with customers who want a distinctive, exclusive and efficient high-performance car.”
The Polestar Engineered models are on sale now, with first deliveries to UK customers due before the end of the year. On-the-road prices are £56,105 for the S60, £57,205 for the V60 and £64,545 for the XC60.
XC60 T8 Twin Engine Polestar Engineered
0-62mph 5.4 seconds
Fuel economy (WLTP Combined cycle) 88.2mpg
CO2 emissions 56g/km
Electric-only range 22.4 miles.